Community Safety Unit
The Community Safety Unit has two main areas of focus: School Resource and Crime Prevention.
The members assigned to Crime Prevention participate in a variety of community safety programs including: Crime Stoppers and the Medicine Hat Safe Community Association, which is a non profit organization whose purpose is to provide advice and recommendations on matters relating to the programs and services that the Community Safety Unit of the Medicine Hat Police Service deliver to the community.
The Crime Prevention members of the unit are available to provide
presentations on: Fraud Prevention, Basic Safety Information and Crime
Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) to community groups on an
as requested basis. To request a presentation contact Sgt. Michael Fischer by
email at email@example.com. In your request please ensure you provide the date, time, type of presentation requested and your contact information. On Twitter you can follow the Community Safety Unit @MHPSCommSafety .
School Resource Officers
Having a safe and orderly school environment is essential to creating the foundation for effective teaching, reducing threats of physical harm, and encouraging cooperation among students and staff.
To assist in creating and maintaining a safe environment, the School Resource Officer (SRO) Program was developed in partnership between the school divisions and the Medicine Hat Police Service.
Role of the School Resource Officer:
- Provide a visible presence in the school and the community.
- Maintain open lines of communication with staff, students and parents, the community and police members.
- Identify and resolve problems involving student, school and the community.
- Serve as a part-time instructor, crime prevention practitioner and public relations liaison.
- Enforce applicable federal and provincial statutes with the goal of maximizing the safety of students in the schools.
Cst Les Roberts getting into the Christmas spirit with the assistance of the cosmetology class at Notre Dame Academy.
The Medicine Hat Police Service encourages students and staff to utilize this resource to help inform and build relationships within the school environment and the community.
Sgt. Michael Fischer