Collision Reporting Centre


What is a Collision Reporting Centre?

The Medicine Hat Police Service (MHPS) has partnered with Accident Support Services International Ltd. in the operation of Collision Reporting Centre (CRC).  The Medicine Hat CRC will provide improved service to the public offering a streamlined process for reporting property damage vehicle collisions.  The CRC is located in the lobby of the MHPS, located at 884 2nd Street SE, Medicine Hat, AB. 


How does it work?

In cases where a collision occurs and the vehicles are moveable, once reported to 9-1-1 citizens will be directed to drive to the CRC to complete the required police report.  In cases where vehicles are not moveable, tow trucks will be dispatched to the scene to clear the vehicles and transport parties involved to the CRC.  Upon arrival at the centre, citizens will be greeted by a member of the Accident Support Services staff who will provide assistance in completing the required forms, contacting the insurer or a loved one and even starting the claims process.


Must I report an incident immediately?

In most cases, claimants are advised to attend to the Collision Reporting Centre.  However claimants may attend at other times, in accordance with the situation.  The hours of operation for the CRC are as follows:

Monday to Friday                            8 AM to 4 PM
Saturday/Sundays and Holidays   Closed

What about motor vehicles collisions?

The majority of claims handled by the CRC involve motor vehicle collisions.  Collisions that are eligible for reporting at the CRC include: any property damage collisions where the damage is estimated to be over $2,000, but there are no injuries or criminal offences involved.  The MHPS is no longer investigating such collisions, except when there is injury or death, criminal activity (including alcohol) one or more of the vehicles are federally, provincially or municipally owned, one of the vehicles is transporting dangerous goods, or there is damage to private municipal or highway property.

Police will attend to assist with traffic problems.  In addition, police will investigate the collision when the circumstances are such that it would be a serious hardship to ask the claimants to attend to the CRC.

Arrangements have been made with towing companies to have the vehicle brought to the MHPS, whether it is immediately after the incident or some time later when the CRC is open.  Vehicles involved in a collision are photographed, and claimants are provided with copies of all necessary documentation in connection with their claim.


Do all motor vehicle collisions have to be reported?

The Traffic Safety Act states that all motor vehicle collisions involving injury or death, where there is damage to highway property, and where the combined damage exceeds $2000 must be reported to the police.


What should l do if I get involved in a collision?

Check to determine if the police must investigate the collision.  Call 9-1-1 to report if you are unsure.
If it is safe to do so, remove the vehicle from the roadway. Exchange information with the other involved persons, including independent witnesses.  Obtain names, addresses, phone numbers, insurance and vehicle particulars. As soon as possible, attend with your vehicle to the Collision Reporting Centre.
Bring your documentation with you to the Collision Reporting Centre, ie. Drivers license, ownership and insurance.


May I contact the Collision Reporting Centre directly for more information?

The Medicine Hat Collision Reporting Centre will be pleased to answer your questions and can be reached at:

PHONE: 403-581-1070
FAX: 403-581-1063